Climbing Instructor (Part-Time)
This position provides a safe, impactful experience for members and non-members using the climbing wall during both registered and drop-in programs.
Supervisor: Recreation Coordinator
Schedule: Wednesday and Thursdays 3:15-6pm
Exemption: Overtime Exempt
Wage: $27.00-32.00 per hour
- Maintain a safe environment by following policies & procedures to manage risks associated with activities on the climbing wall.
- Lead progressive lesson plans that introduce participants to physical literacy by building fundamental movement skills though climbing programs.
- Teach outdoor education.
- Use excellent customer service skills, establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, members and all members of the general public.
- Assist and address all members’ questions/concerns while providing outstanding customer service.
- Support the administrative systems required for the operation of the climbing wall including waivers, program schedules and class lists.
- Make recommendations to ensure that the climbing wall structure, mats and holds are kept in safe working condition
- Make regular changes to the routes available on the structure.
- Collaborate with members from other teams to provide positive experiences for children & youth through camps, school groups, birthday parties and more
- Ensure the climbing wall is a safe place for individuals, children & families by instilling best practices for health & safety, child protection and COVID-19 prevention.
- Attend all mandatory meetings, training, and in-services.
- Present opportunities to guests to further utilize our facility, making relevant suggestions to enhance their visit or make the most of their membership by providing information, hours, costs, other services.
- Report any complaints and broken equipment to the Fitness Manager
- Wear proper attire
- Complete any other tasks as required
- Valid Standard First Aid Certification and CPR Level C
- Police check completed – Vulnerable Sector Search
- Attend in-service Safety meetings as required (usually quarterly).
- Experience volunteering or working with children in a recreation setting
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Valid climbing instructor certificate (Level 1 CGI or higher and/or ACMG level 1 or higher)
- Excellent written and verbal English language communication skills.
Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.