Canadian Jewish Literary Awards – Call for Submissions
- Arts & Culture Menu
2022 Canadian Jewish Literary Awards is open for submissions
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards invites you to submit any books, in English, French or Yiddish, on a Jewish theme or topic. The author must be Canadian by birth, by education or by residency but need not be Jewish.
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards celebrates excellence in Canadian writing on Jewish themes and subjects. The Awards recognize the outstanding achievements of the winning authors with significant cash prizes and public recognition.
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards is an independent entity. We thank The Israel and Golda Koschitzky Centre for Jewish Studies at York University for its support and for providing the infrastructure to allow us to administer the Awards.
We will accept books published between June 1, 2021 and May 31, 2022. The submission deadline is May 2, 2021. Books published between May 1, 2022 and May 31, 2022 can be submitted until May 31, 2022.
The awards will be presented at a gala ceremony at York University on Sunday, October 23, 2022. In the event of circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic won’t permit the holding of in-person ceremony, the event will take place virtually as it did in 2021. Please visit the Canadian Jewish Literary Awards YouTube Channel to see how last year’s event unfolded and to experience the participation of the Award recipients.
- Books written on subjects with Jewish themes or with significant Jewish content.
- Books written by Canadian citizens or permanent or former residents of Canada.
- Books written in English, French or Yiddish
- Books published between June 1, 2021 and May 31, 2022
- Books with an ISBN, including eBooks.
- Books with Jewish content written by non-Jewish authors are welcome.
- Graphic books are eligible.
- Previously submitted titles, new translations (except from Yiddish) and reissues are not eligible.
Fiction: novels and short story collections with Jewish content.
Scholarship: books of original research for their publication that contribute to Jewish knowledge.
Biography/Memoir: biography, autobiography, personal memoir, or family history. The subject must have relevance to the Jewish experience.
History: non-fiction works about the Jewish historical experience.
Youth Literature: books and picture books on a Jewish theme for children or young adults.
Poetry: books of verse including significant Jewish content.
Holocaust Literature: books concerning the Holocaust including autobiographies, memoirs, academic studies, history and fiction.
Jewish Thought & Culture: non-fiction works illuminating Jewish thinking, culture, and the Jewish experience.
Yiddish: books in Yiddish or about Yiddish culture; translations from Yiddish (fiction or non-fiction) also considered.
The Jury may choose award categories at its discretion, and may elect to forgo awarding a prize in any category if it determines that there is no prize-worthy publication in that category in a given year.
How to Submit
- Submissions should be received by May 2, 2022. We will accept books published in May 2022 with a May 31, 2022 deadline. Because we want time to read and assesses properly, early submission is encouraged and appreciated.
- There is a $50 entry fee per title submitted.
- Four physical copies of each book plus an ebook download.
- A completed submission form.
- Cheques should be made out to: York University — Koschitzky Centre for Jewish Studies.
- Cheques and book submissions should be sent to:
The Canadian Jewish Literary Awards
Koschitzky Centre for Jewish Studies
763 Kaneff Tower
4700 Keele Street,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3J 1P3
- For credit card payments, please call Julie Feinberg at 416-822-8104.
E-mail digital submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to reading and considering all submissions.