Few things say “Canada” more than maple syrup, and what better accompaniment than, Buttermilk Pancakes?! This recipe will treat you to ones that are soft, thick, fluffy, and tender – everything a good pancake should be. Whip these up for brunch this weekend piled high with maple syrup and your favourite toppings!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- In a small bowl, mix together buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a larger mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients along with the ¼ cup of melted butter. Fold together until combined.
- Heat a frypan over medium low heat and add a teaspoon of butter.
- Pour about a half cup of the pancake batter into the frypan and cook for a few minutes until bubbles start to pop on the top.
- Flip and cook for a further few minutes until cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes piled up with maple syrup and your favourite toppings.
You can substitute the buttermilk with equal amounts of milk mixed with a few teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar. Set to the side for 10 minutes before using.