Crispy Sweet Potato Roast
Our feature at-home chef this week is Danielle Braitman, the Emerging Gen Coordinator for Calgary Jewish Federation. She loves being in the kitchen and is pleased to share one of her all-time favourite recipes, Crispy Sweet Potato Roast. Aglow with vitamins A and C and chock full of fibre, sweet potatoes are a wonder vegetable that’s impossible to mess up cooking and pretty consistently delicious!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
- 3 tablespoons salted or unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and black pepper or red pepper flakes to taste
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat butter and oil together until butter has melted.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of the mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart (9.5 x 12 inches) baking dish. Sprinkle butter/oil puddle with some salt and pepper.
- Arrange your potato slices vertically in the dish.
- Add a sliver of shallot between every few slices of potato, if desired.
- Brush tops of potatoes with remaining butter/oil and season generously with more salt and pepper.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until potatoes are tender and almost fully cooked.
- Increase oven heat to 450°F (230°C), remove foil, and let roast another 10 to 20 minutes, until tops of potatoes are nicely browned.