Lemon Butter Pasta with Ricotta and Spicy Breadcrumbs
Are you looking forward to a laid-back, summer night? Then enjoy minimal time in the kitchen with the simplest 20-minute recipe for Lemon Butter Pasta with Ricotta and Spicy Breadcrumbs. This pasta dish is buttery, garlicky, and tossed with caramelized lemon and fresh basil. Serve over creamy, whipped ricotta and finish off with spicy breadcrumbs for a delicious crunch. A perfectly easy summer dinner, any night of the week!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- ½ to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ pound angel hair pasta
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter
- 1 lemon, sliced, seeds removed
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 zucchini or yellow summer squash, very thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese, whipped, if desired
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil, the breadcrumbs, capers, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally until the breadcrumbs are toasted all over and the capers fried, about four minutes.
- Remove the breadcrumbs from the skillet. Season with salt.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, set your skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the two tablespoons butter and lemon slices. Sear until the lemon is caramelized, about one minute per side. Remove the lemon from the skillet.
- Finely chop the lemon slices and mix with the basil.
- To the skillet, add the remaining butter, zucchini, garlic, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the zucchini is golden, five minutes. Watch the garlic closely. Remove from the heat, stir in the pasta and half of the lemon / basil.
- Spread the ricotta into bowls. Add the pasta.
- Top with breadcrumbs and additional lemon / basil.
- Twirl the pasta up with the cheese.
- EAT and ENJOY!
To make fresh breadcrumbs: Pulse torn bread in a food processor until roughly the size of peppercorns – ciabatta or crusty sourdough bread is a favourite! If using fresh crumbs, toast them for 3 to 4 minutes in the skillet first.