Get in the Game
- Sports & Recreation Menu
This fast-growing sport combines elements of tennis, badminton, and table tennis; using a paddle and plastic ball with holes. Appropriate for players of all ages and skill levels, pickleball is fun, social, and friendly! The rules are simple and the game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a fast-paced, competitive game.
Whether you are a beginner, novice and intermediate pickleball player, we have a clinic for you! Improve your play and take it to the next level with a qualified coach.REGISTER
Join us at the JCC for open Pickleball play times in the gymnasium with the option to move to our outdoor courts, weather pending. All participants must reserve a court in advance through our online – no exceptions.REGISTER
- Remember that we are all here to have fun!
- Provide a welcoming environment to every person.
- Respect your opponent’s calls (you have a different angle and your “in” might be their “out”), and be fair about your calls. In the end, it’s just a game and we refer back to rule 1.
- Do not run onto another person’s court to fetch your stray ball. Call out: “ball” at which point play should immediately stop in the adjacent court and your ball will be returned. The interrupted rally will then recommence.
- Any unsportmans-like conduct or profane language will not be tolerated. Again we refer back to rule #1.
- Be fair about court time and don’t leave someone sitting out too long.
- Try to refrain from giving advice unless you are asked. Encourage your partner – everyone is trying to do their best.
- Congratulate each other at the end of the game by bumping the ends of your paddle handles.
Pickleball Matrix for Lessons
Brand new to the sport and has taken an intro clinic.
Has played for at least six months, has a good understanding of the game, and is able to keep score comfortably and get at least 50% of serves in play. Player is also able to keep ball in play for a couple shots and has good, basic ground strokes.
Has played for more than a year, has good hand eye coordination, and is able to maintain a rally. Player has good mobility and is developing more control on shots including backhand groundstrokes and third shot drops.
Meet the Coach
Valerie has been coaching pickleball for over two years. She thoroughly enjoys meeting new people, and is obsessed with this awesome game – so teaching is a good fit for her. Valerie has medaled in various women’s singles and doubles tournaments at the 3.5 level and is currently playing at the 4.0 level.
She has completed her level II IPTPA training, and is available to teach both individuals or groups, including adults and youth. Definitely a student of the game, Valerie enjoys devouring whatever content she can find to help her be a better teacher, including Helle Sparre strategy training and various mental training.
Valerie is very excited to be part of starting up pickleball at the Paperny Family JCC. She knows you will be happy you decided to give this fantastic sport a try!