Watermelon Feta Salad
What a perfect week for a Watermelon Feta Salad! Jenn Brodsky’s recipe is easy, delicious, and bursting with freshness. It hits all the important flavour notes: sweet, salty, creamy, and sour. Watermelon, feta, olives, citrus, and quick pickled shallots create the perfect summer salad experience. A delicious lunch salad or bbq accompaniment, and serious crowd pleaser!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
Ingredients – Salad
- Approximately 4 cups cubed watermelon
- ½ cup cubed or crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
- 2 cups packed arugula
- large handful of mint leaves
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented (cut over a bowl and save the juice for dressing)
- ⅓ cup toasted pine nuts
Ingredients – Dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (Jenn likes a thick, aged balsamic)
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- reserved orange juice
- pinch of sea salt
Ingredients – Pickled Shallots
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- crushed black pepper
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- First, prepare the shallots by putting vinegar, sea salt, sugar, and pepper in a medium, heat-safe bowl.
- Stir quickly to dissolve and microwave for 30 seconds to warm.
- Add shallots and ensure that they are completely submerged in the liquid.
- Cover and rest for 15 t0 30 minutes to allow them to pickle.
- When ready to use, drain the vinegar or use a fork to scoop out the shallot slices. Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a week or so, to be enjoyed on sandwiches, burgers or salads.
- For dressing, add the reserved orange juice, balsamic, olive oil, and sea salt to a lidded jar and shake well.
- In a large bowl or on a long platter add watermelon, feta, olives, mint, orange, arugula, and pickled shallot.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad. Toss and mix gently if you’ve chosen a bowl – just until the dressing is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle pine nuts over the bowl or platter, and you are ready to enjoy!