Vegetarian Chili is the perfect thing to make on these cold winter nights. You won’t believe there isn’t any meat in this delicious chili recipe made with two kinds of beans, veggies, tender sweet potato, and sweet corn. Perfectly spiced, thick and hearty, and easy to make on the stovetop or in your slow cooker!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chiles
- 1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2½ tablespoons mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (fire-roasted is great)
- ¾ cup vegetarian broth (or water)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 heaping cup frozen sweet corn
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedge
- Sour cream / Greek yogurt
- Place oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat.
- Add in garlic, onion, diced carrot, red bell pepper, cubed sweet potatoes and green chiles; saute for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper; stir for about 30 seconds.
- Finally, add in crushed tomatoes, broth / water, black beans, kidney beans, and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until chili thickens and flavours come together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary.
- Garnish with anything you like, and enjoy!