Carrot and Ginger Soup
This featured recipe is from the kitchen of Ms. Diane, JCC’s Ready, Set, 3s and KidStart Literacy teacher. Although carrots are available all year round, it’s definitely the right season for Ms. Diane to be sharing her favourite, Carrot and Ginger Soup!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery stalks, diced
- ¼ cup peeled and finely chopped ginger root
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ pounds carrot, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven on medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery, ginger, and garlic.
- Sauté 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add carrot, stock, and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Add a dash of cayenne and season with salt and pepper to taste.