Cinnamon Crunch Apple Butter Soft Pretzel Knots
With this wonderful fall season that we’ve been experiencing, everyone has been baking up a pumpkin storm, but remember that it is still apple season! This Cinnamon Crunch Apple Butter Soft Pretzel Knots recipe is a cross between a yummy apple cider doughnut and a salty, chewy soft pretzel.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Rise Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 55 minutes
Yield: 16 knots
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1½ cups apple cider, warm
- 1 stick (½ cup) salted butter, melted
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup apple butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Combine water, honey, and yeast in bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit for five minutes, until bubbly on top.
- Add apple cider, butter, and flour. Mix on medium speed until dough is smooth and begins to pull away from sides of bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If dough is too wet or too dry, add additional flour or water, one tablespoon at a time. Cover the bowl and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix sugar and two teaspoons of cinnamon in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- On floured surface, roll dough out into a rectangle about ¼-inch thick (about 16×14 inches), adding flour as needed. Spread the dough with four tablespoons butter, then the apple butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Fold dough in half, pressing to adhere. Cut into 16 strips. Twist each strip into a loose knot, it doesn’t need to be perfect.
- Melt two tablespoons butter. Add brown sugar, flour, and two teaspoons cinnamon. Spoon clumps of brown sugar mix over knots.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown. Enjoy warm or at room temperature – warm is best!