Jalapeño Cheddar Latkes
Are you looking for the next, best Chanukah latkes recipe, but at the same time wanting something easy to tackle? These Jalapeño Cheddar Latkes give you the best of both worlds. This recipe only requires seven ingredients but is filled with so much flavour! From the melted cheese to the spicy jalapeño kick, these latkes give you so many flavours in one bite!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 Russet potatoes
- 1 cup of canola oil
- 2 Jalapeños shredded
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of plain breadcrumbs or matzo meal
- 1 large yellow onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the cashews well and put them into a blender with a splash of water.
- Start blending. You will need a silicone spatula to scrape walls of blender regularly.
- Add just enough water to make the cashew cream thick and smooth.
- Season with lemon juice and some salt.
- It is best to make the cream in advance and put in fridge for a few hours as this will thicken as it chills.
- Wash potatoes well – do not peel the outer layer.
- Grate potatoes, onion, and jalapeños with a food processor or hand grater (remove the seeds from the jalapeños for a milder taste).
- Squeeze out all of the liquid from potatoes, onions, and jalapeños with a thin cloth.
- In large bowl, add grated potatoes, onion, jalapeños, cheddar cheese, egg, and breadcrumbs. Mix well and add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Start shaping your latkes by taking about two tablespoons of the potato mixture, rolling into a ball and flattening into a patty form.
**An easy hack for the perfect latke size is scooping the potato mixture with an ice cream scooper!
- Heat your canola oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add your latkes into the frying pan and cook until each side browns and turns crispy.
- 8. Set aside a plate with a paper towel. When your latkes are finished cooking, place them on the paper towel to drain.