Orange Chicken Breasts
We are excited to feature a guest recipe from Chana Nachal McKereghan, a long-time JCC supporter. She is sharing her recipe for Orange Chicken Breasts, adapted from Kosher by Design Short on Time, and is so much better than takeout!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
Yield: 2 Servings
- 2 chicken breasts with skin and bones (remove big pieces of excess fat from under skin)
- ⅜ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tbsp dry mustard powder
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 large navel oranges (squeeze juice from one orange, thinly sliced the other orange – if you aren’t a big fan of orange peel, remove peel from half of the orange and keep peel on the other half
- ¼ jar apricot or apricot peach, twice the fruit preserves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the chicken breasts skin side up into a deep frying pan that has a lid.
- In a bowl, mix the cane sugar, mustard powder, nutmeg, and cornstarch with a fork.
- Add the orange juice and pour the mixture over the chicken breasts.
- With the back of a spoon, spread the apricot preserves over the breasts and scatter the orange slices over the chicken breasts, leaving some skin exposed.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes.
- Test for doneness by slicing into half of a breast.
- Remove from the oven when they are just cooked, ie. opaque; serve.
- If serving later, cool on top of countertop; cover with lid and refrigerate. Reheats nicely in the oven or on the stovetop.