Does the sunny and hot weather remind you of the tropics? Then this Pineapple Rice recipe will definitely transport you to your favourite island destination! This healthy, quick, and easy dish is made in one pot with simple ingredients over the stovetop. Also known as Hawaiian rice, it’s inspired by Thai flavours. It’s a sweet 30-minute meal with a spicy kick from jalapenos.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 jalapeno, medium size, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 cup pineapples, crushed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- 1 cup rice, uncooked, basmati or jasmine
- 1½ cups water
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped, for garnish
- In a large nonstick pot, heat butter and oil over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and jalapenos and saute for about one minute.
- Add pineapples, salt, pepper, red chili flakes, lemon juice, rice, water, pineapple juice and mix until fully combined.
- Cover the pot and reduce to medium heat.
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is fully cooked and water is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and remove the lid. Allow the rice to cool down for about 10 minutes.
- Fluff it up with a fork.
- Garnish with cilantro. Add some more lemon juice on top and enjoy!
- Saute 1 cup of your favourite protein (cut into small cubes) with the garlic and jalapenos first until golden brown and rest of the steps are the same.
- Make coconut pineapple rice by adding ¼ cup toasted shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened) in this recipe.
- Fresh pineapples can definitely be used instead of canned. Also, crushed pineapples work much better in this recipe compared to sliced or diced pineapples.
- Adjust the spice level – this can be done, based on your preference. Add more or less jalapenos and red chili flakes. Always check the flavours near the end and adjust accordingly. Remember to de-seed jalapenos, especially if you don’t like spicy food.