Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Fall is in the air and we have a super-easy recipe that is comfort food at its best – Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup! This bowl of yum may taste decadent, but it’s secretly healthy. Its creamy texture comes from pureed cauliflower… it’s oh-so savoury and absolutely delicious.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp tamari
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb cauliflower, broken into florets (5 cups)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle of coconut milk
- Crusty bread, toasted as croutons or served on the side
- Additional mushrooms, sautéed
- Toasted pine nuts
- Microgreens or tender thyme leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add leeks, celery, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook five minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Stir in tamari, wine, garlic, and thyme and cook for 30 seconds to one minute, or until wine has evaporated.
- Add broth and cauliflower.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until cauliflower is very soft.
- Transfer to a blender, add mustard and vinegar, and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste and serve with desired garnishes.