Easy Veggie Burgers
Adam Silver, CEO of Calgary Jewish Federation wears many hats, one of them being family chef! He loves spending time in the kitchen preparing a variety of delicious dishes for his family. One of his favourites – and lucky for us, he is sharing – is his recipe for Easy Veggie Burgers. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 medium patties
- 1 pound can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced veggies (e.g. combo of carrot, celery, sweet potato, corn, spinach)
- 2 tsp + 2 tbsp oil for frying (suggestions: olive, coconut, grapeseed)
- 3 tbsp liquid flavour (mix and match bbq sauce, sweet soy glaze, dijon mustard, or try other similar liquids)
- 4 tsp spice (experiment with combining at least two: smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, oregano, basil, curry powder)
- 1 cup mixed dry base (use ½ each of oats and whole wheat flour, but feel free to try other flours)
- ½ cup texture ingredient (e.g. chopped walnuts, but you can experiment with olives, sundried tomatoes, leftover cooked rice/quinoa/bulgur)
- Heat 2 tsp oil in pan over medium heat. Fry the onion, veggies, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and pulse with beans, liquid flavour, spice, until combined but still chunky. Pulse in the dry base and texture ingredient.
- Form into golf ball size balls and flatten into patties. Applying pressure and forming patties once flattened helps to hold the patties together.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Fry patties 2-3 minutes per side until browned and heated through. Works well with a grill pan or frying pan. Varied success on actual grill.
- Plate and enjoy!
Adapted from nomeatathlete.com