Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
We are thrilled to feature another fan favourite from the menu at Karen’s Café. Who doesn’t miss the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas? Now it’s your turn to give them a try at home. Karen and Larry look forward to hearing how everyone’s recipe turned out!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 medium-to-large sweet potato (about 12 ounces), peeled
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ a large white onion diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 cup cooked black beans (from one 15-ounce can), rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp (approximately) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 whole grain tortillas
- 3 cups (about 6 to 8 ounces) freshly grated cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- Grate your sweet potato either by hand or in a food processor.
- In large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and saute until soft.
- Add grated sweet potatoes and toss to coat, then add chili powder, cumin, and pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- When soft, add black beans and fresh cilantro.
- Assemble the quesadillas (you can use large ones and fold in half or two smaller ones) – sprinkle cheese over entire wrap.
- Spread mix over tortilla and sprinkle more cheese; cover with second tortilla.
- Warm a dry frying pan large enough to fit tortilla wrap.
- Brown on each side for approximately five minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice each quesadilla into wedges using a sharp pizza cutter or chef’s knife.
- Serve immediately.
- Serve with avocado creme (combine 1 cup sour cream, 1 avocado, juice from 1 lime, chopped cilantro, salt to taste) or plain sour cream.