Vegan Burrito Bowl
This Vegan Burrito Bowl recipe combines seasoned black beans and fajita veggies for a healthy and delicious meal that’s sure to satisfy. You need only six ingredients and 20 minutes to put together this oil-free and totally delicious Chipotle-style feast!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice
- 1 15oz or 400g cans of black beans
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 bell peppers (any colour)
- 1 head of romaine (or lettuce of choice)
- Salsa verde (or salsa of choice)
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Fresh cracked pepper
- salt salt
Optional Ingredients and Garnishes
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Vegan sour cream or unsweetened yogurt
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Heat a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Wash and cut the bell peppers and onions into strips.
- Add the peppers and onions, along with the seasonings (listed above, half to one teaspoon each), to the hot skillet.
- Let the veggies sear and give off their own liquid to keep them from sticking. Stir every few minutes so that different sides touch the hot skillet. If they start to burn, turn down the heat and/or deglaze the skillet with two tablespoons of water.
- (If you’re not using quick-cooking rice, start the rice first!)
- After you place veggies in skillet, measure the rice, add to a mesh strainer, and rinse.
- Add rice and 1½ cups of water to a medium pot. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. (Most rice follows a 1 to 1.5 ratio of rice to water: see package instructions, as the ratio could vary depending on your chosen brand).
- After rice begins to boil, turn down the heat to medium or medium-low and simmer (covered) for about 10 minutes or until rice is done (see package directions, as all types of rice require different cooking times.
- After the fajitas are nicely seared and cooked but still firm, remove from the skillet and place in a bowl for serving.
- Drain and rinse one can of beans
- Add beans, seasonings (listed above, half to one teaspoon each), and half cup water directly to the same skillet (no need to wash in between).
- Heat over medium until beans are warm and the water is reduced.
- Remove beans and place in a bowl for serving.
Other Prep Work
- While the other food is cooking you can prep the other ingredients.
- Wash and cut or tear the lettuce.
- Collect and prepare your salsa and other garnishes.
Assemble Vegan Burrito Bowls
- Place all of the components in different bowls on the table and let everyone build their own burrito bowl from their favourite ingredients and garnishes.