If you’re not familiar with White Pizza, it’s a pizza made without tomato or marinara sauce, and topped with white cheeses; it’s also called Pizza Bianca. This pie recipe takes advantage of the flavours from three different cheeses and is every bit as easy as traditional pizza, and it’s completely customizable!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 2 pizzas
- 1 pound pizza dough, divided in half
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Coarse cornmeal, for sprinkling
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1½ cup ricotta
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- ¼ cup pecorino Romano, divided
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Brush two large baking sheets with vegetable oil and sprinkle each with a layer of cornmeal.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, heat olive oil.
- Add garlic and stir until lightly golden, then immediately remove from heat.
- Strain garlic and season with a pinch of salt. Reserve oil, and set both aside.
- In small bowl, mix together ricotta, salt, pepper, and half the herbs.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape each half of pizza dough into a round ball, then press down the center of each to create a half-inch crust.
- With the dough resting on the back of your hands and your knuckles, gently stretch dough out with the help of gravity by moving your hands inch by inch along the crust. Transfer to prepared baking sheets.
- Brush each pizza dough all over with reserved garlic oil.
- Sprinkle each pie with one cup mozzarella and two tablespoons pecorino, then dollop ¾ cup of ricotta mixture on each pizza.
- Bake pizzas until crust is golden and cheese is melty, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining herbs, reserved garlic chips, and red pepper flakes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!