Vegan Spring Rolls
There’s simply no reason to buy frozen when you can make these crispy Vegan Spring Rolls fresh! There is a bit of work involved to put these yummy rolls together, but ask any of Sandy’s colleagues just how yummy they are!
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 48 spring rolls
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 10g black fungus (wild mushroom available at Asian groceries), roughly chopped
- 1 small onion (80g), finely chopped
- 1 small can water chestnut, finely chopped
- 100g carrot, shredded
- 1 can chick peas, mashed
- 150g firm tofu, mashed
- 50g shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 40g bean thread noodles, soak for 5 minutes in cold water and cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, soak in 100ml water
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ⅛ tsp salt (or a good pinch)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 48 medium (12½cm x 12½cm) spring roll wrappers with no egg
- 1 tsp cornstarch and 2 tbsp water for cornstarch glue
Instructions – Filling
- Soak shiitake mushrooms and black fungus in separate bowls with plenty of boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Soak black fungus in a bowl with plenty of boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop.
- Prep vegetables; remember to dry vegetables with kitchen towels whenever possible.
- Cut the tofu into smaller chunks and mash it with your fingers in a large bowl. Using paper towels squash the tofu against the bowl to remove moisture. Leave bowl aside.
- Drain water from shiitake mushrooms and squeeze out any liquid. Pat dry and chop. Repeat with black fungus.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium and add the oil. Sweat the onions until they start to golden.
- Add the mashed tofu, shiitake mushrooms, and black fungus to the pan and fry for a few minutes. Add soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Continue stirring and cook off the moisture for at least five minutes. Set aside and allow cooling.
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well. Allow to sit for 15 minutes so that bean thread can soak up the liquid in the mixture.
- Add the cornstarch and 2 tbsp of water into a small bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds or until it goes gooey.
Instructions – Rolling
See pictures below
- Separate 10 or so spring roll wrappers at a time and put rest back into packaging. Do not separate them all at once because they will dry out.
- Place a heaped teaspoon or a scant tbsp of filling in middle of wrapper. Spread filling out in a small log shape and compact it down with your fingers.
- Fold side corners towards middle and press down around filling to make sure it is compacted.
- Lift bottom corner over filling and roll tightly without squeezing filling out.
- Finish roll with a bit of cornstarch glue on top corner to keep it together.
Instructions – Frying
- Add enough vegetable oil to a pot so that the depth is at least 3 cm. Heat oil on medium heat.
- Slide spring rolls into oil one at a time and be careful of splash back. Try not to overcrowd the pot with spring rolls.
- Cook spring rolls until they are floating on top of oil and are a golden colour.
- Remove with a slotted spoon or pair of tongs and drain on a rack. Do not let them cool on top of each other.
- Repeat and serve immediately with your favourite dipping sauce.